Every true admirer of ancient Egyptian architecture and art will wish if he had control of time so he can witness the glorious Memphis Egypt and get a taste of the true definition of true glory. It contained more artifacts and monuments than any other ancient Egyptian city such as the Saqqara step pyramid.

Memphis City Location

Memphis-Egypt-Location-Tours-from-Hurghada

Memphis city has located 20 km (12 mi) south of Cairo on the west bank, at the beginning of the Nile delta. The city used to lie between upper and lower Egypt as a mark for the boundary between the two but also a manner of communication.

Names of Memphis Egypt

Memphis-Egypt-Names-Tours-from-Hurghada

Memphis was originally a small town called “Inbu-Hedj” which means the White Walls and Ankh-Tawy which means “life of the two lands” during the middle kingdom (2055-1640 BC) as it was strategically placed between upper & lower Egypt which made the city the key of absolute power.

During the new kingdom (1550- 1070 BC) it was known as “Men-Nefer” meaning “Enduring and Beautiful” but was later changed to Memfi in the Coptic era and the Greek adaptation of that name was Memphis.

It became the capital of Ancient Egypt as the center of the rule, trade, art and religion under the vision, control and protection of the god Ptah (the Patron of Craftsmen) and the home to the great temple of Hut-Ka-Ptah that means “Enclosure of the Ka of Ptah” which was translated in Greek as Ai-Gy-Ptos that is the etymological origin of the word “Egypt”.

Memphis City Facts

Memphis Egypt Facts - Tours from Hurghada

Memphis was constructed by Pharaoh “Menes” in 2925 B.C during the old Kingdom (2686-2181 BC) after unifying Upper and Lower Egypt into one united nation and forming the first dynasty.

The city became the capital of Egypt for eight consecutive dynasties from the old kingdom until the 6th dynasty. The holy trail which consisted of the creator god Ptah, his wife Sekhmet and their son Nefertem became the main deities of the city’s religious life. Ptah’s temple was guarded by an Alabaster Sphinx and serves as a symbol to the city’s heavenly power.

The site contains many statues dating back to 5000 years like the massive statue of Ramesses II which resides next to the pyramids. There were a lot of temples in the city for many deities like Aton, Hator and many more but it was devoured by time.

The city’s stature and might started to diminish during the new kingdom after the rise of the Thebes, and again in the Greco-Roman period after Alexandria became the new capital. The city was devoured by the sands of time and transformed into an echo from the past, a haven for the scattered stone of forgotten glory.